Ending Gun Violence
The recent mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde have resulted in yet another round of national outrage, followed by pro-gun damage control, followed by governmental inaction.
When will it end?
According to a recent Pew Research study (based on data from 2020, the most recent year for which data are available):
- The rate of gun deaths by murder and by suicide have increased sharply since 2016.
- 79% of US murders and 53% of US suicides involve a gun.
- There has been a dramatic increase in the number of "active shooter incidents" (a term the FBI uses to track what are often also known as "mass shootings"), from three in 2000 to 40 in 2020.
We have heard so many times that this time Americans and their elected officials will surely take decisive action to stop the senseless slaughter, only to watch in disbelief and dismay as nothing changes.
What can we do?
Get more involved in our Holliston Democratic Town Committee. More hands mean more power to impact swing races, amplify our voices for change, and get Democrats elected.
- Sign up for our newsletter using the form on the right.
- Come to our monthly meetings (second Saturday of each month at 10 AM).
- Follow us on Facebook and keep an eye on our website and calendar for upcoming opportunities to act.
March for Our Lives is organizing gun reform marches on Saturday, June 11, 2022 in communities across Massachusetts, including Boston, Salem, Wareham, and more. Find and join a local march. March for Our Lives also has small actions you can take to enable gun reform, such as encouraging your legislators to fund mental health care and end the filibuster.
Support organizations fighting for gun reform.
We must strengthen our majorities in the House and Senate in order to meaningfully change the status quo. Join the HDTC in phone banks, postcard-writing campaigns, fundraisers, and other activities and events to elect Democrats up and down the ballot. Sign up for our newsletter, come to our monthly meetings, and stay tuned to our website and Facebook page for upcoming opportunities.
Donate to organizations that support candidates in key swing races and that work toward restoring voting rights and access.